Release Date:
Release ID: 3055

Commercial EPC Required For Non-Domestic Property

So far as Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) are concerned, the regulations state an EPC is required when a building is constructed, sold or rented.

Bolingbroke, December 2008 - “From Oct 2008 buy to let investors and landlords offering non-domestic property for rent are required by law to provide prospective tenants with a commercial EPC for their non-domestic property, says

“The certificates (commercial EPCs) need to be provided freely, either when (or before) any written information about the property is provided to prospective tenants or a viewing is carried out. They will not have to be provided if the landlord believes the prospective tenant is not likely to have available funds to rent the property or is not genuinely interested.

A new commercial EPC will not be required on exisiting tenancies; and similarly to domestic EPCs they are valid for ten years and can be transferred in the case of new owners.

Sounds similar to a normal residential EPC? The general procedure is much the same, but on a Commercial EPC the work and time required is far more intensive. A Commercial Energy Assessor (CEA) is a dedicated and qualified specialist in their field. An assessment site survey could last several days or need a team of assessors on a larger property, requiring full access throughout all areas, access above any false ceiling and access to plant equipment, even onto the roof on some occasions. A CEA will also ask for access to various documents such as maintenance logs, gas certificates, pressure testing certificates, floor plans and elevation drawings. Finally, the software used in analysing the data is far more comprehensive than that involved in the residential sector, as are the final reports.”.

Speaking about commercial EPC legislation “The requirement has been introduced to comply with the EU's Energy Performance of Buildings Directive and is one strategy aimed at reducing carbon emmisions"

They added that “The Directive's requirements have been introduced into English and Welsh law along with the controversial HIP regulations that require sellers to produce HIP packs. The full requirements are included in the Home Information Pack (No 2) Regulations 2007 and the Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007” says

About iare a professional team who specialise in provision of home information packs, domestic and commercial energy performance certificates for individuals and professionals in the UK.

For more info, visit

6 Bolingbroke Road,

North Shields


NE29 7NF

Tell: 01912575207




print button Freight Press XML feed

Freight Forwarders

Freight Services

About Freightnet

Payment Options

Worldpay Payments Processing PayPal Logo

© The Adora Group Limited 2018 - Publishers of Freightnet